Thursday, April 23, 2009

Meeting Major General Waldhauser

Thursday April 16 I went to the Fort Snelling Officers Club and did a meet and greet with General Thomas Waldhauser. General Waldhauser was the convening authority who gave Edwin 6 years clemency in February 2008 and is also the Commanding General of 1st Marine Division. I gave General Waldhauser a copy of the Article 73 petition, and told him that his staff judge advocate, Lt Col Miller may have given him the wrong recommendation when it came to Edwin's case.

General Waldhauser pulled me aside and spoke to me for a few minutes, made sure that my contact information was in the petition and he said he was going to look into it, then get back to me. Now it's only been a week, but I haven't heard anything yet.

While there, I also met an attorney who is helping me get Edwin's information to a friend of his who is a Colonel in the Marine Corps and a former JAG trial judge. The gentleman has offered to read over, as well as the attorney, all the documentation I have in hand. Maybe we can discover more things that the government failed to do.

On a side note, my mother-in-law brought to my attention a very interesting case going before the supreme court. Pottawattamie County v. McGhee, 08-1065. Right now, the prosecution has immunity from civil liability if they are acting within the scope of their jobs, i.e. prosecuting in good faith for the crime. In this particular case, 2 men were sentenced to life in prison for murdering an off duty police officer. 25 years later, it was discovered that the police and prosecution failed to share evidence that pointed the finger at another man and created reasonable doubt and that key witnesses recanted their stories.

Sound Familiar?????

I don't want Edwin to have to wait 25 years to be vindicated in a court of law, that is why I'm going to anxiously await the outcome of this case as it may have some weight in future dealings with the government.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the military but I can't believe that certain people believe that the laws do not apply to them. It does make the military as a whole look bad because of a "few bad eggs". Unfortunately everyone I have contacted so far, throws their hands up and refuses to do anything about it.

I just haven't got the information to the right person yet.